Ideally, the structure of a project is established in the initial planning phase. It will need to be completed and adjusted along the way. Its function is:
- to illustrate the institutional embedding of the project as well as the project environment (networks)
- to determine the best possible structure for the project
- to determine clearly who will be involved in the project and who might have a positive or negative influence on its success
- to determine the role and responsibilities of all concerned
- to detect potential and real conflicts
- to identify structural changes and use them to improve the project.